SACC Summer Scholarship
For Study of Slovak Language & Culture
This scholarship covers tuition, room & board (roughly $1,500) to attend one of two 3-week residential summer programs offered by Comenius University in Bratislava to study Slovak language & culture:
1) July program: "Summer University of Slovak Language & Culture," an accredited program in its 29th year:
2) August program: "Studia Academica Slovaca," an accredited program in its 55th year:
Brief Description of the Programs for Slovak Language & Culture
- 3 weeks, taking place each summer in July (for #1 above) or August (#2)
- Open to high school graduates age 18 and over (or 17-yr-olds with adult attending)
- Takes place in Bratislava or nearby
- Includes language course work (beginner through advanced language) + extra-curricular activities + excursions
- Includes room & board in a dormitory
- Comenius University typically updates its websites for summer language programs in April
The program is especially suitable for students in college and graduate school, but is open to anyone. SACC provides payment directly to Comenius University. The applicant is responsible for airfare and transportation to the program.
Upon return to the United States, SACC may ask the scholarship recipient to share his/her thoughts about the experience, either live or through video.
Payment of scholarship money will be made directly to Comenius University. Scholarship applicants are responsible for applying directly to Comenius University for entry to the summer language program of their choice.
Scholarship Application Requirements
In order to be considered for a scholarship, please complete the following four steps below. Applicants must be residents of the United States. Application deadline is May 15th. Scholarship awards will be announced by May 30th and posted on the SACC website.
Scholarship application materials may either be emailed to with "SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION" in the subject line, OR mailed to SACC Scholarship Application, c/o Tanya Pulver, 3 Hawthorne Place, Summit, NJ 07901.
1. Scholarship applicant must be a member of SACC. If not already a member, please become one by clicking on the "Become a Member" button on the homepage of this website, filling out the form, and paying the $30 membership fee via either check or Paypal. We will send you an email to confirm receipt of payment.
2. Submit a copy of your high school, college, and graduate school transcripts, as applicable, together with a photo which we may post on our website.
3. Compose an essay of 200-400 words which answers the following question: Who are you (heritage, family, education, interests, activities, values) and why are you interested in traveling to Slovakia to study Slovak language and culture?
4. Please supply us with some information about yourself: