SACC Scholarship for Summer Study
of Slovak Language & Culture
Each scholarship of $1,000 funds the payment of tuition, fees, room & board to attend one of the below summer programs to study Slovak language & culture. All applicants must be U.S. citizens. Upon completion, SACC kindly requests scholarship recipients to share reflections about their experiences, either live or through video. The programs below are open to students and motivated learners ages 18 and over.
Slovakia-Based Summer Programs Affiliated wtih Comenius University
1) July program: "Summer University of Slovak Language & Culture," an accredited program in its 29th year:
2) August program: "Studia Academica Slovaca," an accredited program in its 55th year:
Brief Description of the Slovakia-Based Programs for Slovak Language & Culture
- 3 weeks, taking place each summer in July (for #1 above) or August (#2)
- Open to high school graduates age 18 and over (or 17-yr-olds with adult attending)
- Takes place in Modra, Slovakia (#1 above) or Bratislava, Slovakia (#2)
- Includes language course work (beginner through advanced language) + extra-curricular activities + excursions
- Includes room & board in a dormitory
- Comenius University typically updates its websites for summer language programs in April
- Tuition, room & board approximate cost is $1,500
U.S.-Based Summer Program: Summer Language Institute (SLI) at the University of Pittsburgh
The University of Pittsburgh's Slavic, East European, and Near Eastern Summer Language Institute (SLI) offers a unique intensive Slovak summer program that includes a study abroad option in Bratislava.
The Slavic department at the University of Pittsburgh prides itself on being a principal center for the teaching of Slovak language and culture in all of North America. SLI is the only US-based summer intensive program to offer Slovak at beginner through advanced levels.
- 6 weeks of intensive Slovak at SLI in Pittsburgh (roughly $4,900 tuition + fees; room & board are separate) (in 2020 the program
- followed by 4 weeks of optional continued language study and cultural immersion in Bratislava (roughly $9,060 altogether)
More information about the domestic and hybrid programs can be found here: https://www.sli.pitt.edu/program-listing/slovak/domestic
SLI accepts undergraduates, graduates, and highly-motivated non-affiliated learners.
Scholarship Application Requirements
In order to apply for a scholarship, please complete the following steps below. Applicants must be citizens of the United States. Application deadline is April 20th. Scholarship awards will be announced by May 8th and posted on the SACC website.
Scholarship application materials must be emailed to with "SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION" in the subject line. Questions regarding this application may also be directed to email@example.com.
1. Submit a copy of your high school, college, and graduate school transcripts, as applicable, together with a photo which we may post on our website.
2. Compose an essay of 250-500 words which answers the following question: Who are you (heritage, family, education, interests, activities, values, aspirations) and why are you interested in studying Slovak language and culture?
3. Submit two letters of recommendation from teachers, guidance counselors, employers, or similar recommenders.
4. Please fill out the form below.